Monday, March 9, 2009

Relational Fatigue

I'm a self-proclaimed small group junkie. Yeah, Ada Bible employs me to be that, but I'm confident I would still be involved in multiple small groups even if small groups were not part of my livelyhood.

Currently, I lead three groups. Two are men's groups. Group #1 is twelve guys who are leaders; budding leaders or small group leaders. These guys are tracking and want to know more on how God's Word impacts their relationships. Group #2 is 11 guys who are mostly new to the faith or are re-starting their walk with God. These are guys I coach baseball with, play football and softball with and lift weights with. They are friends who want to learn and grow. Group # 3 is a handfull of couples that have known each other for the past 15 years or so. We are all trying to have solid marriages and raise our kids well.

I love each and every person in those groups. I look forward to seeing them every week. I love to see someone really "get it," for the lights to come on to a biblical principle and for their lives to begin to change. There no better feeling, no better reward to leading a small group in my mind.

But recently, I've begun to feel tired, unmotivated, uninspired. Sin patterns began to creep back into the recesses of my mind and heart. I was coming to group unprepared and with less passion than before. Something was missing in my community. What wasn't working? Small groups were to be the place were my community would be filled with joy, encouragement and life change. Something was broken... at least from my end. I wasn't receiving what I set out to provide for each person in each group. I was leading but not experiencing community. I was holding back.

Friday night, group #1 had what we call "Man Night." This was our 4th one in the last 4 months. Man Night is guy food, beverages, bonfire, games and stories. Just the guys for the whole evening. And, the best part of Man Night... the stories. We have a tradition that in every Man Night someone will tell their life story. This usually takes well over an hour and afterward the other guys have a chance to ask questions, tell what they loved about the story and then bless the socks off the guy on the hot seat. We love to pull out how God has treaded Himself through that person's story. This Friday... another great story.

But it was after the story that were I was most impacted. It was 11 pm. Most the guys had left. Four of us remained contemplating going home ourselves. But, our host, who was the one who shared his story that night, asked us to sit back down around the wood stove and continue our chat. The conversion that ensued was rich, personal and very impactful. I began to emotionally bleed. It almost felt like I was complaining about life but I guess I was being vulnerable and honest about stuff in my life that I was keeping under wraps. I felt safe. I felt heard. I felt care for and challenged. I hadn't done this in a long, long time. The guys heard my weariness, they related and didn't judge.

Okay, I'm a small group junkie. I'm THE Senior Small Groups Pastor of Ada Bible Church, for heaven's sake. Why was this something that hadn't experienced in a while? Why at 11 pm in a buddy's garage when the crowd of guys had left did I feel ready to really share and seek out the care of my brothers? I'm involved in three groups. What had been missing for all this to build up and then spill out on my friend's garage floor?

I'll leave those questions for us to discuss. Tell me what you think!

3 comments:

  1. What transpired was the makings of a Core Group. 3 - 4 guys. The ability to really share and expose layers, to be open, to be trusted, is a powerful release. Very healthy. Very acountable.
    It is good to be "welded" together......
    * Freibco *

    ReplyDelete
  2. James 5:16 (NLT)
    Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results.

    Proverbs 28:13 (NLT)
    People who cover over their sins will not prosper. But if they confess and forsake them, they will receive mercy.

    Some times when we read these verses we get stuck on the word "sin" and get a picture on a guy in a confessional telling a priest his mortal sins. Sin literally means "missing the mark"... missing the good things God had for us because we didn't understand the people were were related to or the situation we were in. These situations also need to be debriefed and as James says with people who will give us grace and mercy. I am glad I have a group of people that I can be authentic with and receive grace and mercy. We all need this. The other alternative is unhealed wounds and unprosperous lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True community is a longing that resides deep in all our hearts. We all want so much to be loved, to belong and to be intimately connected to God and others. We even know deep in our hearts that God loves it when we find this with Him and other. It's His deepest desire for us.

    But our flesh as a way of getting us to believe lies that come from the pit of hell.

    Lies such as...
    "If I'm truly known for who I am, no one will love me."
    "I need to clean myself up before I come to God and to my friends."
    "I can do it on my own. Independence is a good thing."
    "God has done some wrong in my case."

    I love the verses that Al shared. They invite us to be real, to open ourselves to others for who we are. Did you see the outcomes of transparent community? They are beautiful. "so that you may be healed" "they will receive mercy."

    ReplyDelete