Friday, October 5, 2012

The Winner of ArtPrize is...

I’m a big fan of ArtPrize. It’s been one of the greatest things to hit our little town of Grand Rapids. This year I love it even more. I actually have a piece of art displayed in the contest. It’s a photo display of black and white pictures I’ve captured on my trips to Haiti. It’s been a great experience for me and has led to some wonderful conversations with people about photography, Haiti, and art. I’ve never really considered myself an artist, so this is a very new conversation for me to be a part of.

Because I have something displayed in ArtPrize, I’ve been downtown much more than in previous years. I’ll go hang out at my display for an hour or so, talking to people who have questions or want to chat about Haiti. Then I’ll wander around downtown with my wife to see some of the 1,500 other pieces of art. I’m amazed by the diversity in style and resources used to create art. I’m also amazed when I read the artist statements that describe the process they went through in creating the piece.  Honestly, some of it makes sense to me, and even inspires me, but others seem like a giant stretch. I walk away confused or even disturbed. That’s what happens in an open competition of art. Some art I like. Some things I hate. Some things I just don’t get. But, some of the art absolutely stops me and stuns me— like the taxidermy moose and wolves display, the pencil drawings of the band and the elephants, and even the 20,000 lanterns that were launched into the GR sky.
Of all the cool things I’ve enjoyed about ArtPrize this year, the most stunning to me was a piece of art that wasn’t entered into the competition but showed up anyway. After walking through the Amway Grand one evening, we stepped outside with the intent to head across the river on the walking bridge. As soon as we stepped outside, we saw it. It was a stunning sunset. Oranges, reds, grays, and yellows streaked through the clouds on the horizon. As the sun set— moving in and out of the clouds—the artwork changed. The light would dim and brighten as the sun, clouds, and wind sketched the colorful sky. It was interesting to listen to the people on the street when they saw this incredible display hover over the ArtPrize venues. I heard one person say, “Wow, that must be God’s entry into ArtPrize.”  Two nights later, we experienced the same thing. God was again presenting his artwork to us at ArtPrize.
God, the artist! If art makes a statement, what was he saying? What did we need to hear? Here’s what I think I heard that night: “Hey, humankind! I created you to be creative and expressive. When you are, you’re like me! Nice job. But, let me remind you of what I can do that’s bigger and better than anything you can dream up.  I can do it every day if I want to with ease, distinction, and power. I do this to be seen and to be heard. I want to be known. Here I am!”
I’m not the first person to realize this, of course. Listen to David’s words in Psalm 19 as written by Eugene Peterson’s The Message.
God’s glory is on tour in the skies,
God-craft on exhibit across the horizon.
Madame Day holds classes every morning,
Professor Night lectures each evening.
God makes a huge dome
for the sun—a superdome!
The morning sun’s a new husband
leaping from his honeymoon bed,
The daybreaking sun an athlete
racing to the tape.
But God doesn’t stop his communication with a sunset. He has much more to say to us. He’s given his written Word for us to find guidance, truth, encouragement and more importantly, to find HIM.  David continues,
That’s how God’s Word vaults across the skies
from sunrise to sunset,
Melting ice, scorching deserts,
warming hearts to faith.
The revelation of God is whole
and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear
and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right,
showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain
and easy on the eyes.
God’s reputation is twenty-four-carat gold,
with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate
down to the nth degree.
God’s Word is better than a diamond,
better than a diamond set between emeralds.
                                                                Psalm 19.6-10 The Message
As  you see the sun rise and set, as you feel the rain on your face, as you see new colors in the trees and… as you read his Word this week, know that God is revealing himself to you. Take it in. Learn and enjoy his creative presence in your life. He wants to be known.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment